What science fiction and fantasy have you read or watched, and loved, this year? I'm specifically looking for works that were first published or aired in 2016 and are eligible for nomination for the 2017 Hugo Awards. I'm especially hungry for recommendations of good shorter-than-novel-length fiction since I have a hard time finding good shorter works. I want recommendations of novels, too, though, please.
It's been an exhausting year with really long work hours, so I haven't read much. As a result, my 2017 "Things I Might Nominate" list is *EMPTY*! My work schedule may finally be evening out, and I'm starting to read again, so I'm eager for your recommendations!
Here's my to-read list so far:
- Necessity by Jo Walton - currently reading
- Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer - currently reading
- Crosstalk by Connie Willis - comes out October 4
- Death's End by Liu Cixin - comes out September 20
- The Raven and the Reindeer by T. Kingfisher
- City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett
Note: I know a lot of lists of eligible fiction are being put together. Please feel free to link to more, but... Obviously can't read it all! And maybe YOUR favorite isn't on those lists yet at all!
Tell me about the new SFF you're loving! I want to read it! Also, please tell me what you love about it, if you can without spoilers!