Tuesday, June 17, 2014

2014 Best Novelette - My Ballot

Here is my current thinking on the 2014 Best Novelette ballot...

1. "The Waiting Stars," by Aliette de Bodard. 
The topic of this story is just too important. And it is so beautifully written. I really loved this story.
"The Waiting Stars" is available for free here.
My more detailed (and spoilery) thoughts on "The Waiting Stars" are here.

I'm still very torn between the next two - what order they should go in. Tentatively:

2. "The Lady Astronaut of Mars," by Mary Robinette Kowal
This is an important topic too, and one that I haven't seen much in SFF. I also loved this story, with only one little reservation. I was really moved by this story.
"The Lady Astronaut of Mars" is available for free here.
My more detailed (and spoilery) thoughts on "The Lady Astronaut of Mars" are here.

3. "The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling," by Ted Chiang
This is a topic that really fascinates me. I also loved this story, and I've been playing around with the idea in my head for days. I still really want this technology. Apples and oranges between this and "The Lady Astronaut of Mars" - I loved them both for such different reasons.
"The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling" is available for free here.
My more detailed (and spoilery) thoughts on "The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling" are here.

4. No Award

5. "The Exchange Officers," by Brad Torgersen
This story just left me feeling flat. There were too many things that bugged me in this story. And the clincher is that I had to go back and look at my review to even remember what it was about - so it didn't really stick.
"The Exchange Officers" is available for free here.
My more detailed (and spoilery) thoughts on "The Exchange Officers" are here.

Leaving the troll unlisted.

No comments:

Post a Comment