Sunday, June 29, 2014

2014 Best Short Story - My Ballot

I have some brief spoilery thoughts with my current ballot thoughts behind the link...

This ranking probably won't change, but I'm still undecided about whether I will place "No Award" between #3 and #4. Probably not.

1. “Selkie Stories Are for Losers” by Sofia Samatar (Strange Horizons, Jan-2013)
Oof. This one packs a punch! Such a good story. A young woman who is really pissed off that her mother, a captured selkie, disappeared the moment the narrator found her mother's skin and asked her what it was. Whose best friend and love interest's mother is also probably a selkie. Who wants no part of this crap magic that leaves families broken and full of sorrow and loss. Who wants to move with her friend to a land-locked state so that this story can never become hers. This gives me new insight, also, into this Campbell (not a Hugo) Award nominee!
"Selkie Stories Are for Losers" is available for free here.

2. “If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love” by Rachel Swirsky (Apex Magazine, Mar-2013)
Starts out very silly, and I'm thinking, this... is odd.... but entertaining..... But then, suddenly, it's about something else entirely. Holy shamoly. Um. Wow. 
The format and cadence of this story reminds me of something. It's right on the tip of my brain; I can't quite remember. Each new segment beginning with "If [the last thing that was said in the previous segment]. What is it reminding me of?
"If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love" is available for free here, both in print and audio.

3. “The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere” by John Chu (Tor.com, 02-2013)
The water that falls on you from nowhere (the substance and the concept) is interesting. This is a neat little slice of life from someone in a very difficult situation, in a world where lying is immediately obvious to everyone around you. Really big lies are potentially deadly; really big, universal truths reverse the effects of lying.
"The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere" is available for free here.

4. “The Ink Readers of Doi Saket” by Thomas Olde Heuvelt (Tor.com, 04-2013)
A story about a little town where wishes are collected and granted as they float downstream in little boats. Sometimes they are granted through magic or karma, and sometimes by secular means. Enh. This one didn't do much for me. Why, since he was already facilitating so many wishes, did he have to meet that fate? I get that he wished to see where the wishes go, but... Ugh.
"The Ink Readers of Doi Saket" is available for free here.

1 comment:

  1. It's patterned after, if you give a mouse a cookie.

    ReplyDelete