Sunday, June 15, 2014

Spoiler Request: The Lives of Tao by Wesley Chu

John W. Campbell Award (not a Hugo Award) for Best New Writer Nominee: Wesley Chu.

To check out this nominee, I listened to The Lives of Tao.

No spoilers yet - though I'm asking for them in the comments.

I started up this book right after I quit Nexus. I was still really upset from Nexus. I started The Lives of Tao, saw that it had an interesting concept and went STRAIGHT into remorseless, senseless, and unnecessary neck-breaking violence and such, and I immediately shut it off in a fit of temper.

Someone please spoil me - is the whole book going to piss me off with the unnecessary violence? The cover leads me to believe it probably will.

3 comments:

  1. I'm only half-way in, but so far there really is a lot of unnecessary and stupid violence... It feels like a Jackie Chan - James Bond Hybrid with bloodied and bruised faces and cracked ribs added in for the survivors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! And am I inferring correctly from your review that it's also an "Aliens Built the Pyramids" story?

      Delete
    2. No, not really. Strangely, the aliens appear to have been mostly involved in starting wars among humans, not in advancing of science and technology. (Which would make more sense, if you want to build are star ship...) It's a "aliens start all the wars" story.

      Delete