Saturday, June 28, 2014

Review: Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone

John W. Campbell Award (not a Hugo Award) for Best New Writer Nominee: Max Gladstone.

To check out this nominee, I listened to Three Parts Dead, by Max Gladstone.

A few brief spoilery thoughts behind the cut.

A god has died, and a pair of necromancers (Craftswomen) must solve the mystery of his death and resurrect him.

At first I was thinking, oh no, another supernatural detective story. This one has an interesting twist on the usual trope, though.

I was pretty entertained, and I kept with the story through to the end. There were a few surprises, and a few not-surprises. I wanted to know what was going to happen.

I find overall, though, that I don't have much to say about it. It's well-written, but it left me feeling pretty "meh."

I think, partly, while I found the characters somewhat interesting, the path our protagonist is on is a pretty dark one that creeps me out. I feel that I don't want to get too attached to her, in her current state.

While it was an entertaining read, I'm not sure whether I'll pick up the other books in the series. I'm not strongly drawn.

Up or down ballot (note for myself): MIDDLE. I don't feel like I want that time back, but I don't feel excited about picking up the rest of the series either.

No comments:

Post a Comment