Wednesday, July 23, 2014

1939 Best Novel - My Ballot

Of the five nominees, there is a very clear front-runner for me. If I could vote it first, and put five or six blank spaces between it and the next ones, I would.

My ballot with a few possibly spoilery notes behind the link...

1. Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (The Bodley Head)

I loved this book So. So. Much. It made me so happy. This is what the Hugo Awards are all about, to me.
Some of my (spoilery) thoughts on Out of the Silent Planet here.


2. The Legion of Time by Jack Williamson (Astounding Science-Fiction, July 1938)

Not a great work of art, but an interesting time travel fairy tale working through some of the anxieties of the day. I'm glad I read it.



3. The Sword in the Stone by T. H. White (Collins)

I'm glad I read it, but I couldn't get past wanting it to be something that it wasn't. The anachronisms especially bothered me, even though I know why they're there. By the way, correction to my earlier post on this book - the Arthurian novels I found so dull in high school were Mary Stewart's, starting with The Crystal Cave, not T. H. White's Once and Future King. Oops. :)

Some of my (spoilery) thoughts on The Sword in the Stone here.


4. No Award

Unlisted (I couldn't finish either of them, and don't feel either is more worthy of the award than the other):

Carson of Venus 
by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Argosy, February 1938)
Got very bored by this story, very quickly. Man visiting from Earth is vastly superior to all these barbaric natives, and particularly its women, even (especially?) the princess who has fallen in love with him. Nothing of the characters helped me feel attached to them. Nothing of the world held my interest. With time running out, I moved on.  


Galactic Patrol by E. E. Smith (Astounding Stories, February 1938)
I really, really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't get into it or develop any attachment to any part of it. I got stuck for awhile, trying to get into this story and finish it, but then with time running out, I moved on.
Some of my (spoilery) thoughts on Galactic Patrol here.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm... Sorry that the fonts are so messed up; I'll try to fix it tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete