Thursday, July 31, 2014

2014 Best Dramatic Presentation Long Form - My Ballot

And... DONE! That's it for my Hugo voting this year. The deadline is 11:59 pm Pacific time tonight, and there's no way I'll be able to get through the entirety of any of the other categories in time. I'm really sad that I wasn't able to get my hands on two of the 1939 novelette nominees - that's too many for me to feel right about voting in the category.

I'm pretty pleased with myself, though. I got through WAY more material than I did last year. 
Here's a round-up of my 2014 and 1939 Hugo ballot posts, with the order of my votes and some notes.

I'm going to take a short break. Read a couple of junk books, play a couple of video games. Then I'll start looking at some of the 2015-eligible things that have been coming out.

2014 BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION (LONG FORM) 

I have a lot of difficulty with this ballot, this year. Let's see, we have:


A disaster movie that takes itself seriously
A Disney princess movie
A comic book superhero movie
A YA dystopia second-in-a-trilogy-can't-stand-alone movie
A monster movie

I'm really not happy with my choices.

I was tempted to put "No Award" in the first spot, but I decided to be a better sport than that.


My ballot behind the link, with a few thoughts on each.



1. Iron Man 3 

It had a solid script, it was a fun ride, and it surprised and delighted me.
A few of my spoilery thoughts on Iron Man 3 here.

2. Frozen 

In the end, if I try to look at it objectively, it's a pretty solid Fantasy piece. Simplistic, but it's a children's film. And, hey, musical. :)
A few of my spoilery thoughts on Frozen here.

3. No Award

4. Pacific Rim 

It's a fun "monsters and giant mechs" movie, but it's just not Hugo material to me.
A few of my spoilery thoughts on Pacific Rim here.

Unlisted:

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire 

I don't feel that this movie, the second in a trilogy, is good enough or complete enough on its own to be Hugo material.
A few of my spoilery thoughts on The Hunger Games: Catching Fire here.

Gravity

It takes itself so seriously, and it gets so much so wrong. Plus, disaster movies, yuck. This is a No.
More than a few of my spoilery thoughts on Gravity here.


No comments:

Post a Comment