Monday, July 21, 2014

2014 Best Fancast - My Ballot

I haven't spent any time with fancasts, so I'm glad for the opportunity to look up a few that are clearly highly recommended, if they're able to garner enough nominations for the Hugos!

I checked out all seven nominated podcasts, and along the way learned something about myself and what I enjoy in a podcast.  I tend to enjoy the podcasts that introduce me to new things in a manner that doesn't annoy me.

Annoying:
  • Too many people talking at once. 
  • Different sound volumes for each participant - this can go beyond annoying and make a podcast impossible for me to listen to. One person is too soft to hear, so I turn up the volume, then the next person IS SHOUTING!!! and it hurts my brain. From what I understand, it's not too hard to control for this.
  • Participants being ugly to each other.
I came out of this exercise with a few keepers! Color me happy!

Some spoilery comments behind the link:


I'm having a really hard time choosing between the four I liked. This ranking is not final - I may still change it around a bit!

    1. Tea and Jeopardy - Emma Newman and Peter Newman
    This one entertained me quite a lot.  Emma Newman has an interesting story through which she conducts interviews. Funny, entertaining, informative.
    You can find Tea and Jeopardy here, as well as through your favorite Podcast app.

    2. SF Signal Podcast - Patrick Hester
    I like this one too. It's introducing me to new things I might not encounter otherwise, and it's not  "noisy" with lots of people all talking at once. I also get a lot of interesting and useful information from their website and twitter account.
    You can find SF Signal here, as well as through your favorite Podcast app.

    3. Galactic Suburbia Podcast - Alisa Krasnostein, Alexandra Pierce, Tansy Rayner Roberts (Presenters) and Andrew Finch (Producer)
    I quite like this one. Three women in Australia, audio blogging together for a feminist flavored podcast. Each episode covers news - what's happened in the speculative fiction world since the last podcast. Then they discuss the culture they've consumed. I don't usually care much for these kinds of chatty podcasts, but I find I quite like this one. They have a lot of interesting things to say, and they're introducing me to things I might not have found.
    You can find Galactic Suburbia here, as well as through your favorite Podcast app.

    4. The Writer and the Critic - Kirstyn McDermott and Ian Mond
    I enjoyed this one. The episode I tried had two guest authors, and they also introduced me to some interesting things I might not have come across otherwise.
    You can find The Writer and the Critic here, as well as through your favorite Podcast app.

    5. No Award

    6. Verity! - Deborah Stanish, Erika Ensign, Katrina Griffiths, L.M. Myles, Lynne M. Thomas, and Tansy Rayner Roberts
    Six Smart Women Discussing Doctor Who. I really wanted to like this one, but I fell asleep. I like the concept! I think this fell into the "too many people talking" problem area for me.
    You can find Verity! here, as well as through your favorite Podcast app.

    7. The Coode Street Podcast - Jonathan Strahan and Gary K. Wolfe
    They had some interesting things to say, but I had trouble listening to it because of the different volumes of sound between the podcasters.
    You can find The Coode Street Podcast here, as well as through your favorite Podcast app.

    8. The Skiffy and Fanty Show - Shaun Duke, Jen Zink, Julia Rios, Paul Weimer, David Annandale, Mike Underwood, and Stina Leicht
    I tried one episode, and didn't really like the way it was run. It was like a round table with one guy as the moderator. And the moderator was sometimes being a jerk to his panelists. When ALL of the panelists disagreed with him, he steamrolled over them with his one opinion, and at one point told one of them to shut up. It also felt like the female panelists weren't getting much air time. There was one point in the podcast where the moderator ignored one of the female panelists' "hand up" and the other panelists had to chime in and get him to acknowledge her. I found myself tuning it out; so I turned it off.
    You can find The Skiffy and Fanty Show here, as well as through your favorite Podcast app.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment