Thursday, August 14, 2014

1939 Retro Hugo Award Winners

The 1939 Retro Hugo Awards were presented today at LonCon3!

The full details of the voting statistics and all nominated works are up on the LonCon3 web site. Interesting. I was wondering why The Hobbit wasn't on the ballot, since it was one of the eligible novels called out at the Hugo ceremony last year! Turns out .. it wasn't quite eligible. Published in 1937. Oopsie!

BEST NOVEL 
Wasn't my top vote, but I fully expected it would win. My choice, Out of the Silent Planet, came in second, barely beating Galactic Patrol. I'm happy with the results. My ballot.
BEST NOVELLA
  • “Who Goes There?” by Don A Stuart [John W. Campbell] (Astounding Science-Fiction, August 1938)
Also not my top vote, but I also fully expected it would win. And it did. By a LOT. I'm happy with this result too. I was surprised that my top vote came in second-to-last. That's how it goes sometimes! Not surprising to see Anthem take last place. My ballot.  

Incidentally, the data on the voting for Best Novella is kind of fun. If the voting system had looked ONLY at the votes for Top Spot, Anthem would have come in second. The way the Hugo voting works, Anthem was in trouble, because it didn't get very many second or third place votes. Once the entirety of everyone's ranked ballots were taken into account, Anthem came in dead last, and only just barely beat No Award. It had a group of strong supporters, and most everybody else hated it. I expect a similar pattern for Wheel of Time in the 2014 Best Novel voting. This is why I don't think Wheel of Time can win, even though it has a lot of supporters. Like Anthem, most people seem to either love it or hate it. Note, I'm not saying Wheel of Time and Anthem are even remotely similar to each other - I'm just betting the voting pattern for their categories will be similar.
BEST NOVELETTE
  • “Rule 18” by Clifford D. Simak (Astounding Science-Fiction, July 1938)
I didn't vote in this category. I couldn't get my hands on two of the nominees - and this was one of those two. Since it won, I will make an effort again to find it! 
BEST SHORT STORY
  • “How We Went to Mars” by Arthur C. Clarke (Amateur Science Stories, March 1938)
This one was my top choice. It was just too much fun. Definitely happy with this result! My ballot.
BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION (SHORT FORM)
  • The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. Written by Howard Koch & Anne Froelick, directed by Orson Welles (The Mercury Theater on the Air, CBS)
Also my top choice. Almost everybody's top choice. This one was a landslide. The invasion of the Retro Hugo Awards Ceremony by Martians who were eventually defeated by Con Crud foretold this category's winner. My ballot.

I didn't really have enough information to vote in any of the rest of these categories:
BEST EDITOR - SHORT FORM
  • John W. Campbell
BEST PROFESSIONAL ARTIST
  • Virgil Finlay
BEST FANZINE
  • Imagination! edited by Forrest J Ackerman, Morojo, and T. Bruce Yerke
BEST FAN WRITER
  • Ray Bradbury
They also gave out a few special awards:
SPECIAL COMMITTEE AWARD
  • Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster - Creators of Superman (Superman #1 came out in 1938)
I confess, I'm a bit confused about the other special awards that were given out - were they part of the 1939 Retro-Hugo's, or were they part of the 2014 Hugo's? The Big Heart Award, First Fandom award, First Fandom Posthumous Hall of Fame Award, and Excellence in Collecting? I don't see the special awards anywhere but the Twitter feed at the moment. Nothing on the LonCon3 or Hugo Awards pages that I can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment