Sunday, January 11, 2015

My Hugo Nominations 2015 - Updated 1/11/15

This will continue to be a work-in-progress. I will continue to update it until the nominations close. I'm reading as much as I can between now and then, and hope that I'll be adding more to this list. I'll also link to my posts about these works if I manage to write them. :) Meanwhile, please keep recommending anything that you LOVED; I'm getting to as many things as I can!

These are in no particular order within their categories. Additions since last update are in red.

Official description of the Hugo Award categories and rules.

Best Novel:

Best Novelette:

Best Short Story:

Best Related Work:

Best Dramatic Presentation (Long Form):
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Interstellar (still thinking about this one)
Thanks for all the recommendations for this category. I looked at the descriptions of the movies you loved and just based on the short blurbs, they sound like movies I'll watch if I have to (i.e. if they make the short list), but none of them really sound like my cup of tea. Please make a case in the comments if any of them are very misrepresented by their couple-of-sentence summaries!


John W. Campbell (not a Hugo) Award:

Full Disclosure:
Rick Jones is my husband. Also, the protagonist is not me. No really. ((Contact pops out to reveal glowy demon eye)) Dangit!! But seriously, she isn't me. Family aside, I would not nominate if it were not a good story. Rick has been published a lot in the RPG world; this is his first published short story. I've had the privilege of reading others that aren't yet published. Can't wait to see more!
** Keith Goodnight is a college friend. The Child is on the horror side of sci-fi and isn't really my cup of tea, but it's quite a good book. He has books 2 and 3 of the series in the works. The Child is better than most, maybe all, of the Campbell nominees last year. This is his last year of eligibility; check him out before nominations close if you can!

7 comments:

  1. Memorials is also going to be on my nominations list for 2015. I don't know about whether or not I'll put Toad Words, but that depends on how much short fiction I'll manage to read before nominations close.

    It's good to see that you are back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roundly reminder to include "Jodorowsky's Dune" in your Best Related Work ballot!

    ...Please.

    Do it for Jodorowsky.

    STRAY NOTES

    -Wait, is "Entanglement" a novella or a novelette? Does anyone know?

    -I should read "Memorials", I guess.

    -One short story I felt was unfairly ignored this year was "How to Become a Robot in 12 Easy Steps" by A. Merc Rustad over at Scientgasy. I'm nominating it.

    -You might also want to consider "The Vaporization Enthalpy of a Peculiar Pakistani Family" by Usman T. Malik. I'd go so far as to say that it deserves to be the winner this year.

    -For the Campbell, I had in mind Ray Wood "In the Sight of Akresa") and Alyssa Wong ("The Fisher Queen"). I don't know if Malik and JY Yang are eligible, but if they are I'll nominate them.

    Well, that's all I have for this. PLEASE put "Jodorowsky's Dune" on your Best Related Work ballots, people, I cannot stress this enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I meant Scigentasy, whoops. :3

      Delete
    2. I don't know the official lengths of any of the stories from Hieroglyph. I'm totally guessing based on page count in that book, and assuming 250 words per page. I could be way off! If you haven't had a chance to look at that book, it's seriously one of the most exciting things I have heard about in quite awhile, and some of the stories are really amazing. I'm going to try to write a post on the collection if I can.

      Also, Oh! Jodorowsky's Dune is a film! I was thinking it was a book. That means I'll definitely have a chance to check it out, assuming it's available streaming somewhere. Thanks!

      And thanks for all the other recommendations too!

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the recommendation of Jodorowsky's Dune! I loved it!

      I feel very torn though. Part of me REALLY REALLY wants to see that unmade movie RIGHT NOW. And part of me knows how very, very angry that movie would have made my younger self. Probably not as much now... at least partly because it's been so long since I read Dune fifty million times, my memory has faded a lot.

      It's really neat, though, to know that in a way I *have* seen most of the movie, piece by piece, in lots of other films!

      Thanks again. Very glad I watched that!

      Delete