These are in no particular order within their categories.
Official description of the Hugo Award categories and rules.
Best Short Story:
- Girl in Wave : Wave in Girl (Kathleen Ann Goonan, in Hieroglyph: Stories & Visions for a Better Future)
- Degrees of Freedom (Karl Schroeder, in Hieroglyph: Stories & Visions for a Better Future)
- Covenant (Elizabeth Bear, in Hieroglyph: Stories & Visions for a Better Future) (available for free here; trigger warnings apply)
- The Principal (Rick Jones, in Demon: Interface) (available (watermarked) for free here - click Full-Size Preview)*
Best Related Work:
- Two Scenarios for the Future of Solar Energy (Annalee Newitz, in Hieroglyph: Stories & Visions for a Better Future)
- Keith F. Goodnight (second year of eligibility)**
* Rick Jones is my husband. Also, the protagonist is not me. No really. ((Contact pops out to reveal glowy demon eye)) Dangit!! But seriously, she isn't me. Family aside, I would not nominate if it were not a good story. Rick has been published a lot in the RPG world; this is his first published short story. I've had the privilege of reading others that aren't yet published. Can't wait to see more!
** Keith Goodnight is a college friend. The Child is on the horror side of sci-fi and isn't really my cup of tea, but it's quite a good book. He has books 2 and 3 of the series in the works. The Child is better than most, maybe all, of the Campbell nominees last year. This is his last year of eligibility; check him out before nominations close if you can!