Tuesday, March 10, 2015

My 2015 Hugo Nominations - Final!

Here's my final list! I didn't get to as many things as I wanted to. Of course. Always. I did better than last year, though. As long as that upward trend continues, I'll be pleased with myself!

Official description of the Hugo Award categories and rules.

Best Novel:
Why is Jim Butcher's Skin Game not on my nomination list? I love the Dresden Files books. I'm not nominating any of the individual books in the series because, at least so far, the story as a whole is SO much bigger and better than any of the individual novels comprising it. This is an epic modern fantasy tale which is planned out to a massive conclusion, still years away. I can't wait to see where we're going. If it is as good as I expect it to be, I am going to want to nominate THE ENTIRE SERIES AS ONE STORY. If any individual book in the series makes the Hugo short list, the full story will not be eligible for nomination, under the current rules. (Of course, by the time the series finishes, we may have changed the rules and massive sagas like this may no longer be eligible as the single story they are. But I'm working with what I have now!) 

I want to see the entire Dresden Files series up for a Hugo nomination once the story is complete.

I've just convinced you to RUN and put Skin Game on your ballot this year, haven't I? Quick... deadline is 11:59 pm PDT! :)

 
Best Novelette:

Best Short Story:

Best Related Work:

Best Dramatic Presentation (Long Form):
Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form):

John W. Campbell (not a Hugo) Award:
 
I either wasn't able to get to the other categories this year. I still don't have the first clue how to evaluate for Best Editor!

8 comments:

  1. Does that mean Skin Game was better than Magic Breaks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends who you ask! :)

      I liked them both, a lot. But I'm not nominating either.

      The epic Jim Butcher is creating crosses over into Hugo territory for me in a way the Ilona Andrews series doesn't, quite. They're both complex and pull in a lot of mythology in a way that I like. They certainly claim to have similar attitudes towards their writing. Yardstick at Barnes n Noble versus sending kids to college. :)

      I particularly called out Skin Game here because there's a faction actively campaigning for Skin Game this year. This was my "here's why you shouldn't nominate it this year" that I actually meant to post a couple of weeks ago .. probably won't do much good now!

      Delete
    2. If you disagree with me (or even if you don't :)) you should absolutely buy into the Hugos next year and nominate! Seriously! We need more voices! :)

      Delete
    3. Jooooooiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnn....... Usssssssssss...........

      Delete
  2. Durn it! If only we'd known Cryoburn would be the last, we could have nominated that series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, the Vorkosigan Saga isn't eligible as a series. To be eligible as a single work across multiple volumes, no part of that work can have made the Hugo short list or won a Hugo.

      She won a Hugo for:
      The Mountains of Mourning
      The Vor Game
      Barrayar
      Mirror Dance

      She made the short list for:
      Falling Free
      Memory
      A Civil Campaign
      Winterfair Gifts
      Cryoburn
      Captain Vorpatril's Alliance

      Do we know for sure that Cryoburn is the last??

      Delete
  3. What makes something Hugo territory? All I can find in the rules is "Best."

    I keep looking for something that will remind me of literary criticism - some set of criteria like "thematic" or "multi-faceted" or "fun." I have in my mind that some stories have that ability to layer, as Bujold does, so the story is about a trickster getting his way, no it's about an individual with disabilities succeeding, no it's about fatherhood, no it's about cultural change. Or it's about that spark of pure creativity that drives new invention - Heinlein's machine for growing babies, later Bujold's uterine replicator. Or it's just about pure fun - in which case, I'd point to my favorite exchange in a Jeanine Frost novel, "WHAT was that?" "Premature imflammulation. Very embarassing. I don't like to talk about it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What makes something Hugo territory also differs, depending on who you ask. Sometimes wildly. If you look at people who blog about it, you'll see very different ideas of what kind of story should be worthy of a Hugo. I vote for what seems like the best to *me*; that's all I can do. :)

      For me, more complexity is important - many-layered, as you say. Something that fills me with a sense of wonder and makes me think is important. My very favorites are the ones that also dream of ways the world, or we, could be made better, but I don't get that as often as I'd like. (This is why, though, you see a lot from Hieroglyph on my ballot this year.) Adventure and excitement and funny is a nice plus but not mandatory. I skew away from stories that depress me, and I skew strongly away from the violent-for-violence's-sake and gory.

      Others tend in different directions. Pretty much any preference you can imagine someone having in their speculative fiction choice, someone is using it as a criteria for how they vote on these awards. "Best" varies quite widely.

      I know most of the things I nominate won't make the ballot. And I know a lot of the things I vote for in July won't win the award. But that's okay. The diversity of tastes and opinions in this fandom are fascinating and wonderful to me.

      I like adding my voice to the cacophony. :)

      Delete