Saturday, January 30, 2016

Nominations are Open for the 2016 Hugo Awards!

Nominations are open for the 2016 Hugo Awards! Science fiction and fantasy first published in 2015 is eligible - full rules here.

You can nominate for the 2016 Hugo Awards if ONE of the following applies to you:
Nominations will close March 31, 2016. So there's still lots of time to get in a little more reading/watching/listening!


Note: nominating PINS are unique and are being sent out now. It will take about a week to send out all the nominating PINS, so please be patient.


Nominations are also being accepted for the 1941 Retro Hugos.

Supporting memberships at MidAmeriCon II cost $50 this year. This gives you all the MidAmeriCon II publications, voting rights for the 2016 Hugo Awards, voting rights for the 1941 Retro Hugo Awards, and nominating rights for the 1941, 2016, and 2017 Hugo Awards. A supporting membership will also get you the Voter's Packet which usually contains a lot of the nominated materials - this is not guaranteed, and depends on this year's Worldcon having the bandwidth to put a packet together and on publishers' willingness to allow their materials' inclusion.

I've been reading as much as work and life allow. Which hasn't been nearly as much as I'd like.  I did get through some new SFF though!

I really appreciate all the suggestions y'all have made in my comments sections! I haven't yet made it through all the suggestions, but I made a pretty good dent. There are two months left before nominations close! That said, I have kindof switched to catching up on some older things. If there was something published in 2015 that you feel REALLY passionate about, please tell me what it is and why and I'll take another look at it.

Here's my tentative nomination list so far (in no particular order); I expect I'll add to it before March 31:

Best Novel:
  • The Just City, by Jo Walton
    • I wrote a little about this story. Never did get around to posting again with trigger warnings - I kindof glossed over those bits with "because humans and Greek gods are imperfect creatures, there are flaws in the experiment"
  • Aurora, by Kim Stanley Robinson
    •  Another solid story in his space colonization universe. Generation ship traveling to a nearby star system. Artificial intelligence. Some interesting stuff to think about, and as always, he sciences the shit out of it. I loved this one even though it made me angry. I also love how he updates this universe to take into account new scientific discoveries in the real world.
  • Uprooted, by Naomi Novik
    • A really excellent story - fantasy with a dose of fairy tale. I've heard people compare this story to Goblin Emperor, and I really don't know why - the world in Uprooted is really compelling, there is a lot of awesome magic, and it's just a really good tale. I wanted to hurry through it so I could find out what happened, but then I was really sad because there was no more. I had trouble picking up another book for awhile after I finished, I was so deep into the world.
Best Related Work
Best Dramatic Presentation - Long Form:
  • Ex Machina 
    • Maybe - I'm still pretty conflicted about this one. 
  • Tomorrowland
    • If you haven't seen it, stop rolling your eyes. I know the previews made it appear to be fluff. It was actually surprisingly good. Very good. We need more optimistic SFF.
  • The Martian
    • Because obviously.
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    • Because, again, obviously.
Best Dramatic Presentation - Short Form:
  •  Doctor Who - "The Zygon Invasion / The Zygon Inversion" - Season 9 eps 7-8
    • I'm not loving this Doctor as much as the last few. Not sure whether it's his character this go-round, or whether it's the stories he's given. This two-parter is the only story this season that moved me.
Best Fan Writer:
What are you thinking about nominating this year? If you're also talking about Hugos and don't see your blog mentioned in the column to the right, please leave me a comment! 

3 comments:

  1. I did not have as much time to read as I had hoped since August, so so far I have read very little from 2015. But this year I will probably include at least one German story, even though I am fully aware that it has Not Chance of making the ballot or the extended long list even... And like last year, I am reading a lot at the moment ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhh, this isn't about the 2016 Hugos, but rather the 1941 Hugos, regarding Best Graphic Story. 1940 was a great year for comics, but I feel like none of them will get represented, since a category needs 5 ballots to count. So I decided to research and find the best SFF comics of 1940:

    Captain America Comics #1
    Written by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby
    Illustrated by Jack Kirby
    Timely Publications (Timely Comics?)

    It's the one with Cap punching Hitler on the cover. It says March 1941 but the comic came out in December of 1940. One of the finest of the Golden Age, and quite possibly one of the most important. It publicly denounced the Nazis BEFORE the US entered WWII, and while there was still some strong pro-Nazi sentiment in the states. Simon and Kirby's creation, for all its Golden Age goofiness, still stands out as a work of bravery.

    The Spectre!/The Spectre Strikes! (More Fun Comics #52/#53)
    Written by Jerry Siegel
    Illustrated by Bernard Baily
    National Allied Publications

    A shockingly mature story for the 40'a that holds up pretty damn well. Joe Corrigan being denied heaven after his death and being forced to eradicate all evil is an excellent backstory, and makes all his actions understandable.

    Batman #1
    Written by Bill Finger
    Illustrated by Bob Kane, Sheldon Moldoff, and Jerry Robinson
    National Allied Publications

    There's a reason historians call this the best single issue of the Golden Age...well, two reasons, actually: the Prince Clown of Darkness and the Princess of Plunder. Not only was this Batman's first solo comic, it also had the first appearances of The Joker and Catwoman, in stories that perfectly demonstrate why they've had lasting appeal. There's also a pretty good Hugo Strange story here.

    Introducing Captain Marvel! (Whiz Comics #2)
    Written by Bill Parker
    Illustrated by C.C. Beck
    Fawcett Comics

    The first appearance of Billy Batson and his older Captain Marvel alter-ego. It's an engaging, simple story executed really well, with underpinnings of mysticism that only reveal themselves upon re-reading. It just works.

    The Origin of the Spirit
    Written by Will Eisner
    Illustrated by Will Eisner and Joe Kubert

    Why would I forget Eisner? This is probably the one that's aged the best, with the art looking strikingly modern, even well into the 21st century. While not at the height of its post-war years, The Spirit still came swinging from day one, with its chronicling of Denny Colt's rebirth as the titular character that gradually became a superhero. Extremely influential to the medium. (Also, Ebony White's only in it for one panel. So there's that.)

    All it needs is 5 ballots. Even if you're not voting for anything else at the Retros, it'd be a massive help.

    Also, welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh also here are my 2016 Hugo Award categories that I've completed and am decided on:

    BEST NOVEL
    The Dark Forest by Liu Cixin
    Golden Son by Pierce Brown
    The Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. Boroson
    The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
    Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie

    BEST NOVELLA
    The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
    What Has Passed Shall in Kinder Light Appear by Bao Shu
    The Two Paupers by C.S.E. Cooney
    Penric's Demon by Lois McMaster Bujold
    In Midnight's Silence by T. Frohock

    BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION LONG
    Mad Max: Fury Road (if this misses the ballot I'll just give up)
    Ex Machina
    Inside Out
    The Martian
    Undertale (that indie RPG)

    ...Well, I mean, Star Wars was OKAY, but it didn't really seem substantial to me outside the performances. It was just well-made nostalgia; I was just too put off by its flaws. FWIW, I'm more excited for the second one, because of Rian Johnson.

    BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION SHORT
    Hardhome (Game of Thrones)
    If-Then-Else (Person of Interest)
    International Assassin (The Leftovers)
    Not What He Seems (Gravity Falls)
    Total Rickall (Rick and Morty)

    You didn't care for "Heaven Sent"? I'm a Doctor Who agnostic, and that season felt like the best in a while, and that EPISODE felt like one of the show's best. Heck, I was about to nominate it when I realized that I liked that one episode of Rick and Morty better.

    ReplyDelete